Saturday, October 4, 2008

Music on Whidbey

I love music! I love to listen to it, and participate in it! I sing along with the radio, the cd player, and my favorite musicals. I have even taken part in community theater, but that's another story!

music notes

One of my 'me' things is singing with the Whidbey Community Chorus.( I have a few hobbies, if you will, that I use as my personal time away from it all.) This is a group of people in the community who love to make music. We come from all over the Island, north and south. Every week about 80 people get together at the First United Methodist Church in Oak Harbor to practice. We sing a variety of music, each season normally has a theme to tie it all together. One year we did primarily Irish music, another was all Broadway style show tunes, those great love songs from the 40's. Obviously, our Christmas concert is just that, with selections from secular music as well as sacred. Every year, every season has been filled with great music.

whidbey community chorus

Our Director, Chet Hanson, works very hard selecting the music and working us all at practices to perfect our selections. We started two weeks ago rehearsing for our Christmas Concert which will take place the first weekend in December. We always have one concert in Oak Harbor, at the Methodist Church, and one concert in Freeland at the Lutheran Church. We have done as many as four concerts in a season, but that is rare. This year we will probably have our Dress Rehearsal open, as well, to allow another opportunity to come see us.

Whidbey Community Chorus- Women's chorus

So, if you like to sing, join us! If you like to listen to great music, or just want to get into the holiday spirit, come to our concerts! ( I know, you don't want to think about holiday spirit just yet, but those of us who have to help you get into it have to start extra early!)

Music on Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island