Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I'm Not There

How may surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Two. One to hold the giraffe, and one to fill the bathtub with brightly painted machine parts.

This is the perfect metaphor for the movie "I'm Not There". Notice that I didn't link to the movie. I don't want to promote this pile of dung any more than it already is being promoted by the fact that one of it's actors is up for an Oscar based on her performance.

I nearly walked out of this movie -- it was that bad. I like a little plot, or at least some thread of continuity, in my surrealism. As far as Cate Blanchette, I suppose her acting was OK, if she wanted to just look like a hopped up weirdo with bad hair.

Several people in the audience clapped at the end. I hope they were just glad it was over, because I can't imagine anyone enjoying this movie. Too long, too pointless, too odd. Excellent production values, though. As pretentious as Atonement, in it's own way, I suppose.

Trust me, don't go see this movie. Why Bother?

Movies on Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island