Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Altered Books and Spring Projects

Well, last year I began working on an altered book (actually I started two but I have only finished one of them). So here I am finally done with the one. Here are some pics of it and I will explain what it is about.

About three years ago I started trying to identify my belief system. Evaluate what it was I actually believed in and why and to be able to explain it to myself as well as anyone else who came along. This is a very tough thing to do. I was raised Catholic but have parted ways with Catholicism a long time ago. We raised the boys as Unitarians and while I love their faith I often find myself feeling something is lacking for my spiritual fulfillment. So I sat down and began exploring. The first thing that came to my mind was "Would You Know The Face of God?" This came about because of an ad I came across in the yellow pages advertising a good "Christian" business. Sorry, I follow my father's advice when it comes to getting to trust people. "It is not in the telling but the showing!"

So I found myself painting a wooden screen. The title of course was "Would You Know The Face of God?" I am proud to say it is displayed at the youth groups room at Oak Harbor Lutheran Church. This was a huge task for me. Primarily because it was serious and I don't do serious well.

Then I found myself altering a small Gideon Bible and well the theme continued. I have included several poems and some of my own writing in this book and now find after putting my soul on these pages that I cannot let it go. So for now it is sitting out where people can view it and eventually I will take it home and display it at home. Here is a copy of one of the pieces I put in the book.

Okay, So I am not exploring religion so much as evaluating what it is I believe. Although I don't have it quite figured out yet.. This book was fun to do and helped me work through some much needed ideas and "me" time.

Exploring Spirituality on Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island