Friday, June 27, 2008

The New Computer

It's here! It's functional, mostly! So far so good!

Inspiron 530sMy new Dell computer arrived today. It's an Inspiron 530s, with 3G ram, some ridiculously huge hard drive and a dual core processor. It's got a 19" flat panel monitor, and I opted for the all in one printer/scanner/fax/photo printer/copier. (Hey, it was only $49.00 more! I'll spend that the first time I buy ink for the thing!) I know, for a geek that isn't much of a description. I like to keep things on a level most people might understand.

So far, I've managed to get it to crash and have to restore itself only once, and that within the first hour! I'm not sure how it happened, I was checking the usb plug for the printer to ensure it was properly seated and it just shut itself off. Bad thing to have happen in the middle of installing software! I suppose, if I were wise, I'd do a quick backup of the system as I've set it up, before it has a chance to get all gummed up with crud, instead of surfing and writing and so on, but who ever said I was wise?

I'm also having fun trying to acquaint myself with Windows Vista. I'll let you know how it works for me after I've been using it awhile. At least it's a little nicer than Win98SE, in terms of speed. My next task is to get the hard drive out of my old dinosaur computer and see if I can recover any data files, photos, or perhaps my address book. Wish me luck!

Computers on Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island