Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Movie Review Double Feature

No Country for Old Men is the latest Coen brothers film. The duo is so good at filmmaking, and the cast of this movie is so strong, that for this movie to be anything less than a single shot would be incredible.

True to form, this film delivers a powerful slice of rural Texas life, with characters that dominate the screen. There are few false notes, but the movie as a whole doesn't hold together as well as I would have liked. It seems to be missing a central narrative, or maybe the narrative is delivered too subtley by too wide a variety of characters.

The acting is generally superb, although it is a little disconcerting to see so many excellent actors used sparingly in secondary parts. The cinematography is appropriate to the setting, wide and bleak. I didn't like the close focus following of blood trails with a steadycam, the technique took me out of the film somewhat.

Overall, I give this one a Single Shot. The movie definitely deserves to be seen on the big screen.

I eagerly anticipated seeing Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium, so we made it a double-feature. This movie is also headlined by big stars, Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman. Unfortunately I was less than impressed with the acting, particularly Mr. Hoffman's choice of lisping accent. I expected more magic, and less weird, poorly set-up joking.

The filmmakers somehow manage to make Natalie Portman plain looking for the first half of the movie -- a huge feat, but not, I think, purposeful on their part.

In spite of the slightly banal jokes, odd design, and poor acting, I liked the movie. So don't let me put you off. This is one that would be great on DVD, in fact I expect we'll add it to our collection at some point.

Shot in the Dark

Movies on Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island