Thursday, November 8, 2007

American Gangster

American Gangster is a movie that Rene really wanted to see. I was kind of ambivalent about seeing the film. Now, after seeing it, I'm still pretty ambivalent. The movie was interesting, and well acted, but the story was not very cohesive.

The two main characters share only a few scenes together, at the very end of the movie. They each have side stories, and there are a lot of characters in the film altogether. The main characters motivations are probably explained in detail somewhere, but there isn't enough time to explain in the movie. This makes their actions appear odd, even bizarre.

The movie is also filmed in a style I call 'minimal'. There is just barely enough light to illuminate the characters. I suppose it's supposed to be gritty and realistic, and it probably is in expensive Hollywood screening rooms with perfect projectors and new lamps. In a typical American multiplex at a mall, the movie is just muddy.

Still, the acting is good, great at times, and the story is compelling. It's rare that I give a movie a Shot in the Dark. Usually I either like the movie, or love the movie -- or I dislike the movie, or even hate it. This movie though, I don't like it, nor do I dislike it. It's just "Meh". If you are going to go see it, I recommend seeing it in the theatre, there are some good action scenes that deserve the big screen.

Shot in the Dark

Movies on Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island