Monday, October 1, 2007

Finally a Double Shot

I've been wanting to see a great movie for a while. I've seen a lot of good movies, but there's something elusive about a great movie that satisfies my spirit like nothing else. The Kingdom is a great movie.

One thing I really liked about this movie was it's light. The movie was filmed in Arizona and Dubai, and has great natural light. The director really used this light to advantage for filming. The story was good, and the script was wonderful. The action scenes were very intense, and gripping. I was on the edge of my seat, a lot.

The acting is very restrained, and quite realistic. Great set of character actors who work well as a team.

Jamie Foxx does a great job as the lead investigator, playing politics as much as using his investigation and tactical skills. Politics is a key element of this movie, because politics is a key element of this region.

Jennifer Garner has a lot of problems with the culture. Women, particularly a woman wearing a t-shirt, are treated just a bit differently in Saudi Arabia. She handles it very well, and proves herself as capable as anyone on the team.

Chris Cooper also does a nice job as the slightly crusty old salt. I loved him in American Beauty, he's such a good character actor.

Here's an interesting story about the making of the movie.

The AP's reviewer didn't like it as much as I did. What does she know, anyway? :)

Double shot.

Movies on Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island