Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Going to Search for the Past

Well, Dan and I and our two boys and our daughter in law and grandchildren just came back from visiting Dan's mom and dad and Sister and her husband and their family. It was a blast! We went swimming in a lake (something I have not done in many many years) and we went looking for ghost towns.

For those of you who know Washington, we were in Spokane and chose highway 2 to come home. Highway 2 travels through the wheat country. It goes through towns like Davenport, and Reardan and Sprague and if you have lived in wheat country you know that this time of year is harvesting time and the scenery is gold as far as the eye can see weith dots of red from combines and truckes of all sizes. It is a busy time and thus most of the small towns are vacant during the day and the roads are quiet as the trucks use gravel roads that go the back way into the grainery. You also know that the roads are connected and form a type of mesh that covers the country.

While a quiet road is good for driving on it does become boring and about two hours into the trip I found myself wanting a different view or at least something of interest. That is when my darling husband pointed out that there were several ghost towns in this area and as soon as the next gravel road came up we headed north to find a ghost town!

Gravel roads are fun to drive down. They go for miles and miles and they travel over areas that I am not always familiar with. There are things going on on these roads. On one road we encountered a ultra glide getting ready to take off. It was in the middle of the road and fortunately we could see it coming from a long way off. It looked like a plane and I have to admit that even though I grew up in the farm country I never saw a plane try to take off on a gravel road. It kind of freaked me out to tell you the truth. I thought I was seeing things.

Anyway, as with most people who do not have maps, we never did find our Ghost town. We have since on the internet and are planning another trip back to see it and several others but for now... Here are a few pics of where we travelled and the gold that is part of The Palouse Empire.

What is East of Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island