Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Comic Tuesday

minus, by Ryan Armand, is often as transcendent as Calvin and Hobbes - and sometimes even better. A largely unknown webcomic, minus ran for just a couple years, updating only once per week. However, it's gorgeously drawn, and the storylines are marvelous.

Here's Ryan on the comic:

Each minus strip is painted on a 15"x20" piece of Illustration board. With this comic I am pretending I am making a comic strip for a newspaper in the early 20th century. A special newspaper that lets me use as much color as I want. I'm not much for comic strips so I don't know how long I'll be doing this one, so enjoy it while it lasts, I guess? It'll be updating every Thursday until I suddenly stop! Making comics on giant paper is pretty neat though. Yeah.

Minus is a little girl with extraordinary powers and imagination. Twilight Zone, The Movie has a similar character, and also explores some of the dark possibilities. A child character with god-like powers is a little scary, you know?

I thought that my top ten list of comics was pretty solid, but Minus jumped up near the top as soon as I found it. It makes me wonder what other great comics are out there! I'd considered stopping Comic Tuesday, but I think I'll keep going, for now. Enjoy!

Powers and superstitions on Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island