Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Things I see on my way to work

This week I got to see something unusual. A PBY Catalina flew into the Seaplane Base at Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. I was sitting in the recliner around noon on Friday and heard the roar of it's engines as it flew over the house. Silly me, I didn't have the presence of mind to look out to see what was making all the racket! Even stranger since I knew it would be flying in, and we rarely have airplanes fly so low and slow over our house!

After work on Friday, Randy & I went out to the seaplane base to take a look. There it sat on the taxiway, still dripping water and other fluids! It was a beautiful sight, for those of us who like old airplanes!

This particular PBY is currently used for fire-fighting. The local PBY Memorial Foundation has hopes of purchasing this aircraft for a permanent historical display. Visit the links to find out more about these amazing airplanes!

The PBY on Whidbey Island.

No comments:

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island