Saturday, August 18, 2007

Things to do after Places gone and people seen

So we got a visit again from some friends that we have had for over 28 years. Actually Rich has been my friend for well over 30 years now and has been a friend of Dans for over 35 to 40 years. How is that for dating us? It seems to me that this is one of the "prizes" of aging. While new friends are wonderful and add interest to your life it is the old friends who help complete the person you are. It is the old friends who do funny things with you, stick with you through really bad times, and share wonderful times when life is full of fruit and wine. These friends and Mary and Randy and a few others are like that! They have been over bumpy and smooth roads with us and lived to tell about it and they are family. Dan and I are lucky in that regard... We have a lot of family! It just keeps growing too and for that we feel truly blessed.

Anyway, we had a wonderful visit yesterday and it was ended with an eclectic open mic that as always was just plain fun! For those of you who haven't been to open mic in a while.. You are missing a treat. Last night we heard two funny stories from two different people, we heard music from our own Alyssa and then Che came and played bass and violin for us.It was a really fun evening. Of course you have to put up with me croaking out at least one song.. but as I say.. It is my place I should be able to sing at least one song.. Of course I have one heckler who says "yeah, you would think you could 'sing' one song but so far you've proved us wrong." Did I mention that this is a "right to refuse service" shop?

Well, the shop is looking pretty bare of art lately. I am getting new art in at the end of the month and can hardly wait! I have 5 artists coming in with some really unique things and it will be fun to do the marketing for them. I have a fiber artist, a feather artist, an acrylic artist, an encaustic artist and an artist that makes objects from found pieces. I will do pics and websites when their work gets here but just know they are coming!

I am about 1/2 way done with the headboard. It is exciting to see how wonderful it is turning out to be! I always love this process. I should be done by Friday I hope. It will only be a week late but it will be done. Then I will need to see if I can do something fun with the mirror. I think Kit is going to be really surprised by the end result. I will take pics when I am finished. To add to that I have a small wood rocker I am working on and a small dolls cradle I am making as well and then I need to finish up my floor lamp as well. I also bought a coat post at the thrift store and a chair (ugly Orange) and sofa (really faded rose) to paint. So I have a lot to do. I will also take pics of them for you to see.

Well, I guess that is about all for now. I do have a website for you to visit. this woman is from the UK but her work is universal. Dan found it and we wanted to share it with you. It is called "Dark Roasted blend" The artist that fascinates me is Sue Blackwell Be sure and check out her site and let me know what you think! Talk to ya soon.

Rockhoppers is busy on Whidbey Island

1 comment:

Lilylou said...

I can't wait to see it either, Rene!

Video, Live Cams, Stories, Art, and much, much more from Whidbey Island